maanantai 21. toukokuuta 2012

Summer has also now officially arrived! (a short rant)

This morning was quite shocking to me. I was on my way to work when some girl, around 15-17 years old jumped on the bus. She was wearing a really tight, see-through tank top, some baseball jacket and a pair of minishorts barely keeping her privates hidden! This got me wondering, what the hell has happened to the youth? When did they start idolizing and wearing clothes that revealed 90% of their body? Is it because they enjoy the attention they're getting from everyone (the good and the bad)? And most importantly, what the hell are the parents of these kids thinking, letting them go to school dressed like that?!

This revealing clothes trend has grown exponentially among youth over the last few decades. When I was a kid 10 years ago, 12 to 16-year-old girls dressed in tank tops and (short) shorts. These days they go for see-through tops and mini, or even micro shorts! Now I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but personally I think that this is the single most influential reason to this; popstars and pop-culture. We see these huge celebrities on red carpets with v-necklines that go to the ground and below with no bras and have belts covering their private parts, we see them in music videos with clothes that cover just enough to keep the strategic areas hidden, and guess what? The youth looks up to these people and want to look like them! I've overheard so many discussions among these teens about how they don't like their appearance and body after seeing skinny models on the covers of fashion magazines and to me, that's scary. A 13-year-old shouldn't have the pressure of the young society on them about how they look. They should be wearing whatever they feel comfortable in, without that pressure forcing them to "feel comfortable" in whatever the current fashion trend is. I bet you'd still wear those bright neon colored loose pants and shirts from the 80's if Vogue or some other high-end fashion magazine told you that it was the current trend and everyone around you had already accepted it as the truth and already wore those clothes. Today the colors haven't changed, the size of the clothes on the other hand has shrunk.

Not to mention that these teens even take pictures of themselves in that revealing clothing, suggestive poses and other kind of batshit insane stuff, and most of them even think that they can just get the pictures off the internet when they delete that picture from their irc-galleria or any other picture gallery folder! When the truth is that it has most likely already been spread to at least a dozen of websites with threads collecting pictures about teens in suggestive poses or with barely any clothes on. What you upload to the internet, stays in the internet. Remember that the next time you're thinking of uploading a portrait picture of yourself giving a BJ to a banana facing away from a mirror revealing you wearing a g-string and no bras! (yes, I've seen a picture like that ages ago)


Micro shorts


Now don't get me wrong, I have nothing against see-through tops nor minishorts (show me a guy who has!), but as long as they're worn with at least some sense of good taste instead of looking just cheap.

You make your own call! Which of these do you think looks better?

This:

This:

Or this?:


Something tells me that 99.99% of the viewers would lean towards option #1 or 2 (the upper ones), but there is of course that miniscule 0.01% that would wear the lowest ones if they had the chance.

Now I can understand revealing clothing worn in a holiday resort or on a beach for example where it's really hot and it would be really uncomfortable to wear something like black jeans, or any kinds of jeans at all, in the middle of the day, but this is Finland, not South Beach, Florida! ..I feel a bit old when I'm ranting about something like this, but then again I don't think clothes that reveal as much as in the lowest picture even belong in a city center, where the closest real beach is kilometers away, and I bet every single one of you can agree with me on this one.

Ladies, you CAN look stylish and sexy without revealing most of your body in the middle of the city center.

Over and out.
(at least until I can come up with something more to write about on this)

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti